Selcouth Magazine #1 – submission call
Taken from the Selcouth Magazine site: http://faelivrin.net/selcouth/?p=4
We are now calling for contributions for Issue #1, intended for general publication in Winter 2010.
The theme for this issue is “The End Where I Begin”. Contributions do not have to follow the theme! But it’s there to provide inspiration and direction for anyone who might need it.
If you’re interested, here are the guidelines…
- Prose (fiction, non-fiction), poetry, art, comics – we’re pretty flexible on this!
- Anything goes that has some element of “strange” or “unusual”. Again, we’re flexible on this! Genres that could be explored include science-fiction, fantasty, urban fantasy, paranormal, mythology… and loads more I’m forgetting, I’m sure!
- Written submissions should be ‘stand alone’ pieces, i.e. someone who has not read your work before should be able to follow along without confusion. Excerpts of longer works are fine, as long as they fit this criterion, and have not been posted elsewhere. (If you want to get said work published ‘properly’ though, this may not be the place for you. See: first rights.)
- Written works should be free of spelling/grammatical errors as much as possible, and should meet a reasonable standard of quality in terms of style, plot, characterisation and readability.
- There are no restrictions on length… although we’d prefer short works – like drabbles/flash fiction (~500 words) and short stories (~3000 words). We won’t reject long pieces, but they might have to be ‘split’/serialised across multiple issues. [It really depends on how many submissions we receive in the end, and how long they each are, etc, etc.]
- Artwork should be fit for monochrome/black-and-white printing. Any and all styles/mediums will be acceptable, but photomanipulations will only be accepted if the public domain images, or the artist’s own images, are used.
- All works must be rated “R” or under.
- Deadline: 20th August 2010 5th September 2010. Please email your written submissions with relevant formatting as .doc/.rtf documents and art pieces as .gif/.jpg (300 dpi) files to selcouthmagazine [at] gmail [dot] com.
- Please include your name/pen-name and contact email in your submission.
- We reserve the right to reject any works that do not meet our standard of quality, or which do not fit with the spirit of our publication.
Please forward any further questions to selcouthmagazine [at] gmail [dot] com.